Stem Cells Doctor Back Pain in Potomac, MD
For many people, back pain can be infuriating, debilitating, and something that many people deal with on a daily basis. Long-term back-pain sufferers may feel as though there is no hope after the many medicines and treatments they have tried. However, stem cell doctors in Potomac, MD are using a new technique to fight back pain. Platelets, along with white blood cells and red blood cells, are one of the primary components of plasma, the substance that runs through the vessels of the human body. Each component plays an important role in the day-to-day function of the human body and platelets are no different. While red blood cells deliver oxygen and white blood cells organize the body’s resistance to infection, platelets mediate both of these functions with various growth factors. Furthermore, platelets are thought to be an essential component of wound healing, where through the secretion of several growth factors, platelets coordinate formation of a plug that allows damaged vessel to control leakage and begin the path to recovery. At Pain Arthritis Relief Center, we seek to take advantage of this unique function of platelets. By concentrating the patient’s very own plasma to create a serum that is rich in platelets, our team of Potomac, MD doctors harness the power of the patient’s own stem cells to combat their back pain and other injured areas.
How does Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy work for back pain?
The theory behind platelet-rich-plasma therapy rests on aiding wound healing and reducing inflammation, both thought to be augmented by administering plasma rich in platelets directly to the wound site or area of inflammation. The steps are as follows:
- A blood sample is taken from the patient receiving treatment
- The blood is placed into a centrifuge or other device that spins the blood at a high speed, separating its components into distinct parts based on weights
- The concentrated layer of platelets is isolated from the rest of the blood sample
- The platelet rich portion of plasma is administered directly to the site of inflammation or wound in the back
With this systematic approach, Potomac, MD doctors who specialize in using stem cells to fight back pain have produced life-changing results for many patients that have sought our care, and we may able to do the same for you.
Aside from back pain, what can Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy be used for?
Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy is one of the newest treatments in the medical landscape, and its list of proven uses in the medical literature is only growing. The following are just several of the areas in which platelet-rich-therapy has shown promise in peer-reviewed randomized controlled trials and case reports:
- Tendon injuries (i.e. tennis elbow, Achilles tendonitis, etc.)
- Acute ligament and muscle injuries (i.e. ankle sprains, knee sprains, hamstring tears, etc.)
- Post-surgical recovery
- Inflammation reduction (osteoarthritis)
Is Platelet-Rich-Plasma Therapy right for me?
Research is underway to establish the efficacy of platelet-rich-therapy in a variety of medical interventions, including and in addition to those listed above. While benefit has clearly been established in treatments of certain ligamentous injuries, it is important to note that adverse effects are minimal and limited to the pain associated with an additional injection. World-class athletes, such as NBA player Kobe Bryant and MLB player Alex Rodriguez, have received this treatment for their orthopedic injuries with immense success. While Kobe Bryant traveled to Germany for these treatments, Pain Arthritis Relief Center in Potomac, MD now offers the same innovative therapies within reach of any of our clinics. If you are searching for relief, contact the stem cells doctor back pain Potomac, MD trusts, to schedule a consultation to help you return to your pre-injury lifestyle and rid yourself of daily back pain.
Who is a good candidate for Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy treatment for back pain?
Ultimately, it will be up to our stem cells doctor for back pain at our Potomac, MD clinic to make the final call. After you undergo a thorough exam and provide relevant patient history, our doctor can tell you if you are a good candidate for this type of treatment method. It is a non-surgical procedure that also does not involve taking prescription medications which often have side effects and carry the risk of addiction to the drug. However, many people are suited for Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy and undertake it for back pain and other ailments. Those who may benefit from this treatment include:
- Professional and recreational athletes who are injured while participating in their chosen sport or while training or working out.
- Victims of vehicle accidents that result in serious injuries to the back and other areas of the body.
- Those who are injured in a slip and fall accident.
- Post-surgical patients who wish to speed their healing time and recover faster after surgery.
- Patients who have undergone physical therapy to improve a condition or limitation but have not sufficiently recovered and/or are experiencing a higher than expected level of pain.
- Surgery is not an option, or is not the first choice to treat their back pain.
- Other types of treatment that are alternatives to surgery have not worked or are not suitable to try.
- The back pain suffered by the patient is reducing their quality of life and making it difficult to impossible to engage in their normal activities.
- Anti-inflammatory medications that are often used to reduce swelling and pain (Ibuprofen is a common example) either are not working sufficiently, the patient is allergic to them or suffers side effects, or the individual wishes to avoid using even non-prescription medication.
Who may not be a good candidate for Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy treatment for back pain?
When considering new patients at our Potomac, MD location, our stem cells doctor for back pain will review various criteria in making a decision. For instance, you may not be a good candidate if any of the following is true for you:
- You are pregnant.
- You are anemic.
- You have a bleeding or blood disorder that may be worsened with Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy treatment.
- You have a medical condition such as a type of skin disease, metastatic disease, or an active infection that may advance or worsen with Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy treatment.
- You are currently being treated with anticoagulation therapy and that treatment cannot be paused or stopped.
- You are allergic to cow-derived products. Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy treatment may not be right for you if the plasma is combined with bovine thrombin, an additive that comes from cows.
Stem Cell Treatment for Back Pain
As a Potomac, MD stem cells doctor for back pain will tell you, most Americans will experience back pain at some point in their life. In fact, a majority of this population will be required to miss work because this pain is so intense, or they’ve herniated a disc. According to one study, back pain, including that related to herniated discs, is the second most common complaint made to a primary care physician surpassed only by symptoms of the common cold.
Back Pain is Becoming More Common
Although the spine is strong enough to support the body and protect the central nervous system, it is extremely vulnerable to injury. Most ats will experience back pain at one point or another. As more people depend on technology, including computers and phones, there has been a major decrease in good posture! As a result, various back and neck problems are steadily growing. What was once primarily seen in adults, particularly over 40, is now being diagnosed in young adults and even adolescents.
Usually, back pain is acute and will ease with time and rest. When it does not go away, and you’re struggling to find relief, a stem cells doctor for back pain in Potomac, MD should be consulted.
Current Treatment for Back Pain Relief
There are a number of treatments available to treat back pain. Some are invasive and some are not. Current conservative, and non-invasive, treatment for back pain include physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medications, therapeutic injections, and chiropractic care. Two treatments that are quickly growing in popularity include PRP treatment and stem cell treatment. The goal of each of these treatments is to maximize function, decrease pain, and return the patient to as normal of a life as possible.
As a Potomac, MD stem cells doctor for back pain, the Pain Arthritis Relief Center is readily finding that this treatment is one of the most effective ways to heal back pain, repair damaged discs, rehydrate discs, and ultimately alleviate the chronic condition.
Back Pain Issues Treated by Stem Cells
Stem cell treatment can be used for a broad range of conditions and problems associated with the back. The most common issues that benefit from stem cell treatment are sciatica, herniated discs, and degenerative disc disease. In addition to these issues, our stem cells doctor for back pain in Potomac, MD recommends the treatment to people who are suffering from arthritis in the back or neck and facet joint dysfunction resulting in some degree of back pain.
How Stem Cells Can Treat These
Stem cell treatment is minimally-invasive. The out-patient procedure takes between 1 hour and 90 minutes. Your own stem cells are harvested and then injected into the part of the body being treated. The goal is to restore function or structure, improve hydration of the discs, or surrounding tissues, and reduce pain.
Are You a Candidate for Stem Cell Treatment?
In general, a suitable candidate for stem cell treatment for back pain will be someone who is suffering from chronic pain or an injury from a trauma, overuse, or debilitating condition. Those who have acute or subacute injuries may also be suited to the treatment. The Pain Arthritis Relief Center will conduct an in-depth examination, as well as a review of imaging scans, to determine whether or not stem cell treatment is right for you.
Learn if Platelet-Rich-Plasma Therapy Treatment is Right for You
You may be able to experience relief of your back pain through Platelet-Rich-Plasma therapy treatment. However, it’s not for everyone. Contact us at Pain Arthritis Relief Center today to schedule an exam with our stem cells doctor for back pain at our Potomac, MD location.