Sports Injury Doctor Rockville, MD
For those who have endured a sports-related injury, a sports injury doctor located in Rockville, MD can provide further insight about stem cell therapy as a possible treatment option. Playing sports can help keep you in terrific physical shape, build leadership skills, and help you develop new friendships. However, playing sports frequently can put a lot of stress on your body and make you more susceptible to injuries. Some of these injuries are difficult to recover from and can impede on your performance.
Although stem cell therapy still isn’t considered a standard practice for treating sports injuries, more and more athletes are turning to the Pain & Arthritis Relief Center about the benefits of this treatment.
Where Do These Stem Cells Come From?
The stem cells used in sports medicine come directly from the patient who is being treated. This can dramatically reduced the risk of infection and rejection. These cells are typically harvested from the bone marrow, blood or fat of the patient.
What Sports Injuries Can Be Treated With Stem Cells?
Athletes can endure a wide variety of sports injuries while on the field. Some of these injuries are fairly easy to recover from, while others can make athletes miss an entire season. Stem cells may be able to treat damage to the muscles, ligaments, cartilage and tendons. In Rockville, MD a sports injury doctor at Pain & Arthritis Relief Center, can talk with you more about whether your injury can benefit from stem cell treatment.
How Are Stem Cells Applied to the Injured Area?
During stem cell therapy, a sports injury doctor from MD from the Pain & Arthritis Relief Center can apply the cells to the injured area through:
- Injection: A doctor injects stem cells to the affected area with a needle.
- Surgical Application: A doctor applies stem cells to the injured tendon, bone or ligament through a surgical procedure.
- Sutures: A doctor stitches together a damaged ligament or tendon with a material that contains stem cells.
How Do You Prepare for Stem Cell Therapy?
Just like with any other medical procedure, it’s important to thoroughly prepare for your stem cell therapy. Here are some tips a sports injury doctor based in Rockville, MD may recommend when getting ready for your appointment:
- Eat Healthy Foods: If you maintain a healthy diet before your therapy, you will be more likely to produce better quality stem cells. Eat foods like fish, chicken, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Try to limit your intake of sugary foods and beverages that contain alcohol.
- Don’t Take Certain Medications: medications like antibiotics and steroids, can lead to adverse effects when taken with stem cell therapy. In Rockville, MD talk with a sports injury doctor about the medications you’re currently taking. He or she can determine if you can safely stop taking them.
- Get Plenty of Rest: Even though most stem cell therapies are minimally invasive, you should get a good night’s sleep before your procedure. If you arrive well-rested to your appointment, you will feel a lot better.
- Arrange a Ride Home: While you won’t be going under general anesthesia for stem cell therapy, it’s still a good idea to ask a friend or family member to drive you home afterward. You may feel a little sore and tired, and it helps to have someone nearby.
If you are considering stem cell therapy, contact a sports injury doctor in Rockville, MD from the Pain & Arthritis Relief Center right away for a free consultation.