Prolotherapy Chevy Chase, MD
If you suffer from joint pain, you may want to consider prolotherapy in Chevy Chase, MD. During the treatment, a doctor will inject a solution containing saline or dextrose into the affected joint. It may significantly reduce your pain and increase mobility.
How to Prepare for Prolotherapy
In order to get the most out of prolotherapy, you have to prepare properly for it. Here are some tips to get ready for this treatment.
- Stop taking pain medications. If you have joint pain, you may frequently take over-the-counter or prescription pain medications. However, if you have scheduled a prolotherapy appointment, your doctor may want you to stop taking these medications several days beforehand. They can make it more difficult to heal from prolotherapy.
- Drink plenty of water. If you are about to go to a prolotherapy session, it is important to be well hydrated. Proper hydration may reduce discomfort during the procedure. Drink at least one glass of water before your appointment.
- Take a vitamin C supplement. It is a good idea to take 1,000 of vitamin C right before your prolotherapy appointment. It will help you heal from the treatment properly.
- Eat a nutritious meal. It is not recommended to get prolotherapy on an empty stomach. Therefore, you should eat a nutritious meal with protein before your appointment.
How to Recover from Prolotherapy
After prolotherapy in Chevy Chase, MD, it is normal to experience soreness and discomfort. The steps you take afterward can dramatically affect the healing process. Here are some tips to recover properly from the treatment.
- Avoid strenuous activities. It is a good idea to avoid rigorous activities, like running and heavy weightlifting, for at least a few days after your prolotherapy session. Allow your body to heal and rest.
- Do not smoke. If you smoke tobacco, now may be the time to stop. Smoking can prolong the healing process of prolotherapy.
- Eat a healthy diet. What you eat after a prolotherapy session matters greatly. The more nutritious foods you eat, the faster you will heal. As such, try to consume a diet filled with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. Try to limit your consumption of processed and sugary foods.
If you’re interested in prolotherapy in Chevy Chase, MD to treat joint pain, you should make an appointment with a doctor soon.